LUNCH AT THE MARKET


In my time away from blogging, a lot of things have changed. The street food boom came and went, leaving Cardiff on the cusp of an exciting food revolution. Independent businesses sprang up from the remnants, leaving Cardiff foodies in good hands.

These new changes have marked a steep progression in the development of the Cardiff food scene. It's given Cardiff a confidence boost and married the old and the new, and nowhere showcases this better than Cardiff Market.

I've written about Cardiff Market on the blog before, some time ago, in 2014. Walking through the market in 2019, there's that distinctive Victorian architecture, the flutter of pigeons high up on the roof. The fish stall is still at the entrance, and the singing man is situated in the cafe around the corner. However, the further inside the market you go, the more you see the subtle changes: The Cheese Pantry is located opposite vegetarian staple Milgi, and next door Hard Lines Coffee serves up a steaming flat white.

Where Kelly's meets the singing Elvis statue, I sit upstairs to eat my jacket potato. Across the way is Frwrnes Pizza, who I've yet to try out. I don't often buy lunch, preferring to make my own, but once a week I tell myself I will try somewhere new. There is an inner battle to stick to the home comforts of a warming cheesy jacket that I just can't shake. One day I will be brave and have pizza for lunch. Ah, the problems I have!

I look over at Kelly's Records and remember gleefully trading in my CD's, years ago. That feels like a distant person, someone who was more interested in how much money she could make selling old J-Lo singles.

Today, I am just happy this market is still here, just like a cheesy jacket potato.






Comments

Popular Posts