INTERVIEW WITH AVANT-GARDE VEGAN


Today on the blog I speak with Cardiff vegan chef Gaz Oakley, also known as Avant-Garde Vegan. Gaz has a dedicated social media following and a popular YouTube channel, which features his cooking videos.

What inspired you to start cooking vegan? Has it changed the way you think about food?

I have always cooked, I became a chef at the age of 15 and went full time at the New House hotel at 16. Nearly 10 years later I’m still cooking, the only difference is I’m vegan and cook vegan food. I made the transition nearly  2 years ago. I love pushing the boundaries and experimenting with vegan ingredients.

As a chef, what is the most valuable piece of advice you've received so far?

Definitely not to waste anything. Also to work efficiently as possibly keeping tidy and being organised. In terms of the actual cooking process, is to season at every stage of cooking with salt & pepper. And often lemon juice. Doing this really brings out flavours. No one wants bland food!

Where are your favourite places to eat in Cardiff? 

My favourite place to eat is Anna Loka Cafe. Love the relaxed atmosphere, and the food is excellent!

Are there any upcoming projects you can share with us? 

I have lots of things in the pipeline that are all works in progress.. so all I will say is..stay tuned to my Instagram, YouTube & other social media @avantgardevegan.


Comments

Popular Posts