FOODIE NOTEBOOK: JANUARY


January has been a great month for this food buff. Deciding that food is my passion, I wanted to commit to writing it about again. The great thing about using this "notebook" feature, is using it to keep a record of things that have inspired me, and hopefully, those who read it.

Books
While the weather outside is in the minus, I have been curled up each morning, before work, with Julia Child's autobiography "My Life in France." I'd read the book "Julie and Julia" many years ago, after seeing the film of the same name. Although both women never met, their interconnected journeys fascinated me. Shamefully, I have only just got around to reading Julia's book.

Her story is one of self-discovery. Never really knowing what she wanted to do with her life, she embarked on a course at Le Cordon Bleu and learning to cook French food became her raison d'etre. I am hooked with her story and can't wait to read more. 

Eating Out
I try to be selective with where I eat out now. I like to rely on the recommendations of friends, and one place I enjoy visiting on the odd lunchtime is Bru Coffee. Their triple cheese toastie and a mug of chocolate chai are perfect for this time of year.

At Home
Speaking of toasties, I have busted out the toastie maker and straight into experimenting with different fillings, breads and butters. Right now I am using unsalted Italian butter from Antica Cremeria, which I picked up at my local branch of Carluccio's. It's perfect for melting on top of fresh bread, ready for the toastie maker.

Podcast
Off Menu with James Acaster and Ed Gamble is the perfect blend of comedy-meets-food. Food lovers and comedians James and Ed, interview a guest each week, in their magical restaurant. It's worth repeat listens.

Comments

Popular Posts