It's been a long time since I've written a review. When I left Cardiff a couple of years ago the food scene was really starting ...

REVIEW: BURGER & LOBSTER, CARDIFF

May 30, 2016 Lauren Mahoney 0 Comments


It's been a long time since I've written a review. When I left Cardiff a couple of years ago the food scene was really starting to take off. I watched from afar (Canada) as the city evolved into a foodie paradise. Sure, it was great before, but every UK city seemed to live in the shadow of London hipster-cool. If you're not one of the cool kids, jog on. But then something happened. Wahaca is here! Hang Fire has a restaurant! Street food festivals! Cardiff is now one of the cool kids, skinny jeans and all.

Which brings me to Burger & Lobster Cardiff. This wasn't here when I lived here before, and it's definitely cool. I always loved heading to the lobster restaurants whenever I was in downtown Seattle, so I was excited that there was now a place like that in Cardiff, plastic bibs included. I had heard great things about Burger & Lobster, so was excited to be invited to try the new menu.

 I attended with some of my fellow bloggers and, in order to get the most out of the experience, we ordered a bunch of different dishes to share. We opted for the Welsh lamb burger, chick lobster, smack brisket, cowboy caviar, sweet potato fries and crazy blooming onion. The main dishes don't come with any fries or sides, so you'll need to order those separately.

The smack brisket was the first dish I tore into. The beef was generously covered in spring onions, pickles and sauce and nestled inside a brioche bun. There's something about using a brioche bun, instead of a regular bun, to make a sandwich or burger all the more decadent. It definitely worked for the brisket here. The chick lobster was excellently complemented with a butter sauce and offered a decent amount of lobster meat. The real star of our entire selection was the lamb burger. I think I've had at least three dreams about that burger since, which is a clear indication I need to go back. The burger was cooked medium-rare and topped with pickles. The lamb was light enough to eat the rest of the food, without giving you that automatic 'stuffed' feeling most burgers leave you with. Perfect.

Burger & Lobster Cardiff offers some prime choice when it comes to trying out something different. Cardiff has a lot of burger places these days, so it is hard to stand out. For price and quality, you're looking at around £15 for a burger and side. It is a little on the pricier side than most, but I genuinely think it's worth it.

Burger and Lobster Cardiff has now closed. For more information visit: Wales Online

0 comments: