"You call yourself a food blogger and you haven't eaten at (insert popular eatery here)?!" If I had a penny for every time...

ON BEING A FOOD BLOGGER

June 14, 2014 Lauren Mahoney 0 Comments


"You call yourself a food blogger and you haven't eaten at (insert popular eatery here)?!"
If I had a penny for every time somebody said that to me.....

I write a blog that is about food, yes, but if that means eating at every single restaurant, cafe, bar, market etc., I'd be pretty poor and overweight. I'd also start to hate food. That's why I decided to start a different version of a food blog. If I had started a review based blog, I would most likely have double the readers I do now, but I wouldn't find it fun at all. In fact, I have dabbled in reviews from time-to-time. I don't really love it all that much, so I only take on the reviews I feel most comfortable doing. Recently I took on product reviews that kind of got the 'phoning it in' treatment. Needless to say the results were reflected in the page views.



Blogging is all trial and error. There have been posts that work and posts that failed. I've been at this for almost two years, and I still wonder if I'm writing about the right things. I found that blogging about recipes proved to be very popular, but I also found it pretty time-consuming and frustrating to do, because I felt like that's what people expected from a food blog. I worried too much about what people might be thinking (which I'm now sure they weren't) and fretted that I had to write content that would be 'foodie-like' to impress people.

Whenever you put content out there, good or bad, it's going to get a reaction, which I've since learned is better than no reaction. The most important thing to remember is that you're proud of your work, and that's all that matters.

So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and hit publish!

0 comments: