Following on from the last part , we'll be looking at photography and editing. Photography I use a Canon EOS 1100D and a combinat...

TIPS FOR FOOD BLOGGERS, PART 2

April 26, 2014 Lauren Mahoney 0 Comments

Following on from the last part, we'll be looking at photography and editing.

Photography
I use a Canon EOS 1100D and a combination of two lenses - a 50mm 1.8 and 18-55mm which suit me fine for now. I take the camera with me pretty much everywhere as I never know when opportunity or inspiration will arise. I am by no means a professional and I knew nothing about using a professional camera when I bought it. I think that I've gotten a lot more confident in the last year when taking pictures. I also ask for critiques on my work from my filmmaker friends - don't be afraid to ask for advice.

As I don't do many reviews I don't really need to worry about taking photos in restaurants. At the same time I absolutely hate using the flash when I am in restaurants (or in general). I'm not afraid to ask for a particular seat or for the lights to be brighter if it means I can get good lighting. If you've been asked to review somewhere, then don't feel like you're burdening them by asking for a seat with better lighting. Everyone wants a great end result.

When I take photographs of businesses I either set-up a day to go in and do it, or if I end up there on a whim, I introduce myself, explain a bit about my blog, hand a business card over and ask if this is a convenient time. I make sure I stay out of the way of customers and always buy something before I leave.


Editing
I started out using Photoshop but couldn't get to grips with it. I wanted to make collages and, after a while, I got annoyed with how long they would take to make. So a bit of Google-ing lead me to Fotor, which is perfect for my collage-making needs. I decide which pictures to use, edit them with my Picasa actions, upload to Fotor and then crop and resize the image in Paint. It might sound a bit fussy, but it takes me a few minutes to make a collage and resize it. In Photoshop it would take me half an hour. It's really about finding what works for you. It took me almost year to find my groove with editing, now I feel I know enough of the basics to get the look I want. 

Looking back at some of my older posts often makes me cringe - I had no idea what I was doing! I think this post about Tea and Cake Cafe shows how much I struggled with Photoshop and contrasting my images. The difference from that to this post from last December proves that.

What type of camera do you use? What editing software do you prefer?

0 comments: