I'm always on the lookout for something different. In Cardiff this sometimes (almost always) proves to be difficult. So when something ...

CHUCKS & THOUGHTS ABOUT POP-UPS

June 22, 2013 Lauren Mahoney 0 Comments

I'm always on the lookout for something different. In Cardiff this sometimes (almost always) proves to be difficult. So when something like Chucks comes along, then its a win/win for me.

What does all this have to do with pop-ups? Well, I love them. We've already got the amazing Hang Fire Smokehouse which runs every weekend. But what about those weekends that you don't fancy pulled pork? (Impossible, but it does happen.) Well, for the time being, there's Chucks.
This is exactly the type of place that appeals to my friends and I. Locally sourced produce is on the menu, with haute dogs, frickles and Brooklyn fries in particular are a favourite here. I also admire the fact that someone is doing something about the pop-up scene here. And that is what appeals to me about Chucks. This place has an atmosphere, everyone cheers when your food is ready, and well, I really loved the awesome and friendly staff.

I know Cardiff has dabbled in pop-ups before, I'm not denying that, but it is really something that needs to be pushed here. I really hope Chucks ends up in another location around the city, or as founder Simon hinted at, something entirely different. There is real scope here for it to happen and I hope it takes off sooner rather than later.

As Simon himself said - "That's just the nature of the business."

Chucks will be at The Old Dairy in Pontcanna until the end of June.


0 comments: