I thought I was being a bit adventurous when I came across these. I thought, 'I won't start from number one in the book, I will st...

BAKING PROJECT #742: JAM DOUGHNUT MUFFINS

October 17, 2012 Lauren Mahoney 0 Comments

I thought I was being a bit adventurous when I came across these. I thought, 'I won't start from number one in the book, I will start at 742.' Yeah, that didn't go so well. It's not that these muffins were bad or anything. They tasted great. But when did jam and sugar taste bad? My main problem here was that I put far too much batter into the muffin cups. I never know how far to fill it. But, I guess this all the process of learning how to bake. So as my lesson has been learnt, I will head back to the first recipe in the book and revisit these in 741 recipes time. Anyway, here is the recipe:

Ingredients, 6 tbsp sunflower oil or 85g butter, 280g of plain flour, 1 tbsp of baking powder, pinch of salt, 115g caster sugar, 2 eggs, 200ml milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 4 tbsp jam
Topping, 115g butter, melted, 150g sugar

Preheat the oven to gas mark 6. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and stir in the caster sugar. Place the eggs into a large bowl and beat lightly, then beat in the milk, oil and vanilla. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid. Stir until combined. Spoon half the mixture into the muffin cases and then add a teaspoon of jam to the centre of each, then spoon over the remaining mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. For the topping, dip the tops of the muffins in the melted butter and then the sugar. 


0 comments: