Recently, I left my job of five years, and was gifted with this book. Considering one of my new goals was to get better at baking, this...

CHEESE AND MUSTARD SCONES

October 12, 2012 Lauren Mahoney 0 Comments

Recently, I left my job of five years, and was gifted with this book. Considering one of my new goals was to get better at baking, this book couldn't have come at a better time. So I decided to Julie Powell it and bake each one of the 1001 recipes from the book. I decided to start with something savoury with cheese and mustard scones.
Ingredients - 50g butter cut into cubes, 225g self raising flour, 1 tsp baking powder, pinch of salt,  grated mature cheddar, 1tsp mustard powder, 150ml milk, pepper.

Preheat the oven to gas mark 7. Sift the flour, baking power and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese, mustard and enough milk to form a soft dough. 
Knead the dough very lightly on a floured work surface, then flatten out into a round shape with the palm of your hand to a thickness of about 2.5cm/1 inch.
Cut the dough into 8 wedges with a knife. Brush each one with pepper to taste. 
Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Then transfer to a wire rack and cool. 

These are great served with soup.




0 comments: