Having never been to this festival before, I had no expectations about what to expect. Well, maybe one expectation - international food. You...

CARDIFF INTERNATIONAL FOOD & DRINK FESTIVAL: PART 1

July 07, 2012 Lauren Mahoney 3 Comments

Having never been to this festival before, I had no expectations about what to expect. Well, maybe one expectation - international food. You would think that with 'international' in the title, there would be a little bit more than what seemed like the Italian dudes who sell over-priced olives on Queen Street every few months. Sure, there were lots and lots of vendors from England and Wales, which was great to see (and taste), but living in Wales and a rather close proximity to England, doesn't exactly make it difficult to get hold of any of the products. I wanted something a bit different, something to make me rush home and start inventing new recipes and experimenting with the new foods that I had just bought. The only plus side to the whole event was talking to local vendors about the website and making connections. Maybe it was the rain that soured my experience, or the weird layout ( I'm sorry, it was weird) but to me the whole thing kind of fell a bit flat. Also old people are just plain mean. Seriously, pushing and shoving people out of the way just to get some free samples? Or not actually moving for a good five minutes so you couldn't even try any samples? If I was ever to use a bus, I would NOT move out of my seat for you. You can't have it all.

Anyway, I hope you like the pictures that makes the whole thing look pretty and fuss free.

3 comments:

  1. Yes to all of this. Had a similar rant last year and still believe the whole things needs a radical overhaul. That said did enjoy a mooch around on Friday chatting to vendors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a link to this? I noticed something you said on Twitter and couldn't find it on your blog. I met some really great vendors and that was the only saving grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, here's the link to the original rant

    http://cardiffbites.blogspot.co.uk/#!/2011/07/feeling-flat-cardiff-international-food.html

    ReplyDelete